Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Too Good to Go app

 

About 6 weeks ago I was reading some blogs that mentioned the Too Good to Go app which allows you to buy surplus food from restaurants and supermarkets. It sounded quite interesting so I thought I would give it a go as the app is free to use.

The restaurants and supermarkets will vary depending on your area. Where I am the main ones that comes up are a community based organization (that helps people who don’t qualify for foodbanks but are on a low income), Greggs, Costa and various petrol station Spar supermarkets. Occasionally there is a Carvery restaurant, a Cheese store, Morrisons and CafĂ© Nero. I won’t use the community based organization because I am not on a low income and there are plenty of people who need it more than I do. I also haven’t used the Spar or Morrisons as I tend to stick to a shopping list and because you don’t know what you are going to get then I wouldn’t want end up throwing things away that I cannot use. I have stuck to the coffee shops and Greggs as I have found for the most part the contents are good for me to take to work for lunches. Craig has also had a carvery meal.

How does it work?

Once you have signed up for the app you need to chose your area and the distance you are willing to travel. The different options are then shown. You click on the place you want to pick up a magic bag from and that will take you to a new page. It gives you information about where the place is and the things you might find in it. If you are happy you press the reserve button at the bottom of the screen. The payment page comes up. You can pay by Google pay, paypal or card. Once you have selected your payment option you press confirm. A message then comes up basically saying you have saved a bag from being wasted.

Once your items are ready to pick up you click on the bar at the bottom showing your order when you are at the store. You have to swipe to say that you are ready to collect. A code comes up which you show to the person serving you. They then give you a bag and you swipe to say you have collected it.

It is very straightforward to use and an email is sent with an invoice for your purchase so you can keep track of what you are buying.

Overall Impressions.

I have never had an issue with the contents of any of the bags I have picked up, some have been better value than others. It does all depend on what they have left. I have read several reviews where orders have been cancelled or the bags not available. I have not had that problem. Each time I have used it the staff have been very pleasant, expecting me and the bag was ready and waiting.

 

So what has been in each bag.

 


Greggs- 2 chocolate doughnuts, 2 salted caramel doughnuts, 4 jam doughnuts, chicken club sandwich and a steak bake (which Emma grabbed as soon as she saw it)  Cost £2.59


Costa Coffee 2nd bag- Sausage and onion chutney toastie, beans and cheese toastie, egg, spinach and mushroom bap and bacon bap.
The 1st bag contained 2 toasties, rocky road and brownie. Both cost £3.00


Chuckling cheese - 3 cheese truckles. Cost £4.00


Cafe Nero- 3 danish pastries, toastie and slice of banana bread. Cost £3.09


Carvery restaurant Cost £3.59. There was also mash  and pigs in blankets included but I ate those as Craig is not a fan.

Would I recommend it.

 Yes, it is free so why not give it a go. You can soon find out who is good and who to avoid. If you don’t like it then you can simply delete it.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of this and have seen people get some amazing things but nowhere does it local to us. We'd have to get the bus into town which means we wouldn't save that much money.
    You have done really well. I love the look of the Greggs and Costa one's. x

    ReplyDelete