Thursday, January 18, 2024

Books I have read in 2023

 I managed the grand total of 27 books in 2023 which probably is not a lot by some people's standards but working full time, crafting, housework, family and the W.I. means that I am kept busy for most of the time. 

I am not going to go into detail for every book as that would just take far too long but I will do a little about my favourite books of the year. I don't have a specific genre or author that I like to read, I tend to make my decisions on whether other people have enjoyed it, the cover or the blurb. Some of these books I would not have chosen myself as they are the book club choices that I go to once a month. 

So here is the list, let me know if you have read any of them and what you thought. They are separated into books I enjoyed but would not read again, books I did not like and books I loved.

Books I enjoyed reading.

    

          



    



     


   


   




  


  


Books I did not enjoy

Although I liked the overall story I could not stand Tom Ripley. Apparently the film is supposed to be a lot better than the book. 



I just found the descriptive writing was too much for me. I could see why it was once on the English Literature O'level syllabus.


Who could have thought you could go wrong with Agatha Christie? Apparently you can and this book is in the top 100 worst books ever written list and I can see why. (I did not know this before I chose it)

Books I loved



It was the mention of the self cleaning house that hooked me when I was reading the blurb. I love the fact it is not a young woman who is the lead character but a single mum with a teenage daughter who did not even know she was a witch as her powers had been kept from her to protect her. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series this year.


The Tudors are one of my favourite periods in history to read about. Obviously this is fiction but is was interesting to read a book based on a real character and some real events.

This has become one of my all time favourite books. The blurb  and any description I could give does not do it justice. How the author came up with upper class Victorian ladies who are actually pirates but have flying houses instead of  ships and the male lead being hired to either kill, kidnap or protect the main female lead depending on who hired him is totally remarkable. I laughed out loud at some of the incredulous lines and speeches made. Totally bonkers but brilliant. I am definitely going to be reading the other books by this author.









   








    


   


        




No comments:

Post a Comment