Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Making Lattes in a Hotel Chocolat Velvetiser vs Nespresso Vertuo

 We bought Emma a Hotel Chocolat Velvetiser for Christmas as she drinks a lot of hot chocolate and had wanted one for a while. She loves it and it is used at least once a day. I am not a great fan of hot chocolate as I now find it a bit too sweet for my liking.

I am more of a coffee drinker and I have a Nespresso machine which I have had for several years (I took out a subscription so the machine only cost £1). When I found out that you could now get flavoured lattes to make in the Velvetiser I thought I would give them a go and see how they compare to the Nespresso.


I went for the Everyday Selection 10 pack which included 3x Caffe Latte, 3 x Chocolate Latte, 2 x Salted Caramel Latte and 2x Hazelnut Latte for £14. The flavoured coffees at Nespresso cost between £5.20 -£6.20 for 10 Vertuo pods and you only get the one flavour in the pack.



Making the lattes 

In the Velvetiser you simply pour the milk and the contents of the latte sachet into the Velvetiser and press the on button. It takes a couple of minutes to make the latte.

In my Nespresso I have to warm /froth the milk in the aeroccino and put the coffee pod into the Nespresso machine and press the button for the coffee to dispense into the mug. Once the aeroccino has finished you then pour  the milk on top of the coffee and stir.

Taste.

With the Nespresso machine the flavour is quite subtle and sometimes needs a bit of sugar added to really bring it out. That is the same for all the flavours.

With the Velvetiser I found that the Chocolate Latte was very rich and still a bit to chocolately sweet for my taste.

The Caffe Latte again was very rich and despite it only supposed to be coffee flavoured I still felt like there was a hint of a chocolate taste to it.

For both the Caramel latte and the Hazelnut latte I added extra milk once the Velvetiser had finished. This made it less rich which was more palatable for me. However with both there still seemed to be the chocolate undertone.

The Winner.

Although the Velvetiser, according to Emma, makes fantastic hot chocolate I will still to my Nespresso for making Lattes. I find that the Velvetiser is too rich a flavour and is quite thick and creamy for a coffee which is not what I want from a coffee. I found all the Velvetiser lattes a bit sickly and there is no way you would want to drink more than one a day.

The Nespresso is more of the coffee taste and consistency you expect from a latte. I also think that it is better value for money especially if you take out the subscription.

 

I have not been paid nor have received either machine as a gift to undertake this review. This is my own opinion based on products that I paid for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh! Lucky Emma. A Hotel Chocolat Velvetiser is the dream gift. I had no idea you could make lattes in the Velvetiser. I think I would stick with the Nespresso too x

    ReplyDelete