Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Vintage Celebration Cards

 When I was a child I used to collect postcards of places we had visited and I kept them in a scrapbook. I am not sure what happened to them over the years- I did have a couple of books full. I did find this one which is similar to a couple that I had from when I went to Spain one year.

 


I have recently started collecting vintage celebration cards that are in a postcard format. It all started when I was in Whitby a couple of years ago and saw some in one of the antique centres. I loved the images and the writing on the back. I did find it amusing to see cards labelled for Son or Father with floral images- not very masculine. I do wonder what the stories and the relationships are between the sender and the receiver and why the cards were kept. The old fashioned handwriting is so beautiful and definitely an art form in itself. It makes me want to practice my handwriting. I know children would have handwriting practice in school but the curriculum nowadays does not allow time for that.

 






I have my first ones on display in my craft room. It makes for a unique piece of artwork and a conversation point. I can switch them out with my others so the display never gets boring. I should have realised at the time I bought the frames that I would need more space, so I am now looking at a large multi-aperture frame to display some more in.

 


I think we should go back to this format as a way of saving paper (and trees) especially if a card is to be posted. I know it is more environmentally friendly to send an e-card or wish someone a happy birthday over text or Whatsapp message, but to me it shows more thought and effort to send a card through the post or handed to the receiver personally. People can then keep these and maybe in a hundred years or so there will be someone like me collecting them and wondering about the names mentioned.

2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. The old style hand writing does make them really special. What a gorgeous display x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am looking forward to having them all on display at the same time.

      Delete