Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Favourite things about Autumn

I love Autumn. After the heat of summer then the cooler temperatures are a welcome relief. I do prefer the cold to heat because it is easier to try and warm up then it is to cool down. Autumn is the perfect season for Hygge which is something I can definitely relate to.

 Colours

Although the green of the English countryside is beautiful there is something about the colours of Autumn that is stunning. The reds, oranges, yellows and browns especially when the weather is sunny can take your breath away. This is the time of year when I find myself taking more photos of the scenery and wishing I was better at photography. My photos do not seem to do justice to the landscape. Visiting New England in the Autumn is on my travel bucket list just to admire the scenery.

                                                (not a photo of mine)

Comfort Food

Warm casseroles, soups, freshly baked bread, slow cooked stews and roasts are all things I look forward to in Autumn. Not quite as stodgy as Winter comfort food but still warming and wholesome. I tend to enjoy spending time in the kitchen in Autumn and having the smells of warm delicious food as soon as you walk in the door is a treat for the senses.

New TV shows

During the spring and summer I don't watch a lot of television, but come October there is a number of shows that catch my eye. I tend to spend October and November evenings recharging my batteries ready for the Christmas rush. This year I am watching 'The Great British Bake Off', 'All Creatures Great and Small', 'The Yorkshire Shepherdess' and new this year is the remake of 'Darling Buds of May'. The good thing is because they are only short runs then by the time the Christmas madness kicks in these will have finished and I will be ready re-join the world and get into the spirit of Christmas fully.

Pumpkin Spice Latte

I only discovered this a couple of years ago when some friends were visiting from America and raved about it. It is not as sweet as some of the others that get released nearer Christmas and is a lovely treat after a long walk or when watching fireworks. I don't get the cream put on as I am not a fan of whipped cream on drinks.

Jumpers, Hats and Gloves

I don't know about you, but I find it so much easier to warm up then to cool down. Jumpers are perfect and the right one can feel like a hug when you put it on. Hats, scarves and gloves are invaluable. I never used to wear hats and scarves but since having the dog I have invested in several hats as hoods don't quite keep your head as warm and also come off with the wind. Gloves are perfect when you cannot put hands in coat pockets as you are holding a lead and my hands seem to get colder easier than when I was younger. I have now got pairs for driving and when I am going out and not walking the dog.



Cosy Nights in

This time of year is perfect for staying in and recharging your batteries ready for the Christmas season. It is the time to snuggle under blankets watching TV, reading and relaxing as the nights draw in. The darkness makes me just want to stay home and not rush around as I tend to do during the summer as the days are longer.

Candles

The glow of candles adds to the cosy feeling on a night in. The light adds warmth and welcome to a room that no other light source apart from a real fire can do. It also hides a multitude of sins when it comes to cleaning if you are feeling a bit slovenly.


Walks

The crisp freshness of the air at this time of year makes me want to get out and go for walks in the countryside. In summer it can get to hot and sweaty but Autumn is perfect where you can layer up without the bulk needed in Winter. It is probably the season where you can be the most stylish when out wearing colours that match the scenery. Hot drinks and soups in flasks are perfect when it is time for a break to enjoy the view.


What are your favourite things about Autumn?

2 comments:

  1. I too love this time of year. The leaves changing, comfort food and all of the new TV shows. I still haven't tried a Pumpkin Spice Latte, I must. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely try Pumpkin Spice Latte. Greggs do that flavour this year as well as Starbucks but I have to make sure that it is stirred after I have got it. You don't need any extra sugar in any.

    ReplyDelete