Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Our Advent Calendars

 

Advent calendars have certainly changed from when I was a child. Back then I always received a calendar which displayed a picture relating to Christmas. Nowadays, it is rare to see those types in most shops.

When the kids were younger they always had a chocolate one (or three) each. As they have gotten older, I am trying to look for something different and there is so much variety in the contents you could be spoilt for choice.

 This year I have decided to get Matthew a Haribo calendar as those are his favourite sweets. In the past I have bought him the Lego calendar and he never seemed that bothered so when I asked him what calendars he liked he said Chocolate. He has simple needs.

Emma has got a Hotel Chocolat calendar this year. She has had a Friends jewellery calendar and a Harry Potter themed one in the last few years. Although she was quite happy with both of those she said she didn’t want a jewellery or ‘smellies’ calendar. As she is getting a Velvetiser for Christmas then I just thought lets get her a ‘posh’ chocolate calendar.

                                            

 Both Emma and Matthew have also got reusable calendars which they have had for many years. They used to get filled with chocolate coins but I have upgraded to Lindor chocolates for them both.

                                                             
                                            

                                    (might need to replace this next year, looking a bit battered)

In recent years I have also treated myself to an advent calendar. This year I have the Bonne Maman jam calendar. Previously I have had Cath Kidston, Pukka Teas and a jewellery one (bargain off Groupon).


This year I have been sent an advent card from a lovely friend of mine. I haven’t seen these before and I am looking forward to opening the squares and seeing the pictures, just like when I was a child. This card will also be a keepsake and I could re-use every year.

                                                

Since Emma was a baby we had had this wooden advent calendar which we bought from Costco. Each box contains a decoration to put in the centre. Each year Emma and Matthew take in turns to open a box and put the decoration on the tree. I will let them argue over who gets it when they have both moved out.

 

Craig doesn’t do chocolate. Last year I bought him a pork scratching calendar but he kept forgetting to open it and he has told me not to bother with one for him this year. Penny has a doggy chocolate one which I am sure she will enjoy as a treat.



 Calendars aimed at adults seem to be a recent phenomenon as I never used to see anything but chocolate based ones. Do you now treat yourself to an advent calendar as an adult or do you see them as only for children?

 












2 comments:

  1. We have the Haribo one too. My girls and me and they have a chocolate one too and a have a little beauty one with make up in.
    I love the look of the Hotel Chocolat calendar. How fancy and the jam one is such a fab idea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I noticed on your blog that you had the Haribo one. I wanted the jam one last year but left it too late. I bought that one in October so I knew I would have it.

      Delete