Friday, May 7, 2021

What I have been reading April 2021

 

Only two books again this month but two I thoroughly enjoyed. My time seems to be getting busier now and I am finding I have less time to read. I only finished the second book the day before the book club discussion and I had to make a concerted effort to get it finished.

The Duke and I- Julia Quinn



I will confess that I only read this after watching Bridgerton at the beginning of the year. The book concentrates solely on the relationship between Simon and Daphne.

The Blurb (Goodreads)

In the ballrooms and drawing rooms of Regency London, rules abound. From their earliest days, children of aristocrats learn how to address an earl and curtsey before a prince—while other dictates of the ton are unspoken yet universally understood. A proper duke should be imperious and aloof. A young, marriageable lady should be amiable… but not too amiable.

Daphne Bridgerton has always failed at the latter. The fourth of eight siblings in her close-knit family, she has formed friendships with the most eligible young men in London. Everyone likes Daphne for her kindness and wit. But no one truly desires her. She is simply too deuced honest for that, too unwilling to play the romantic games that captivate gentlemen.

Amiability is not a characteristic shared by Simon Basset, Duke of Hastings. Recently returned to England from abroad, he intends to shun both marriage and society—just as his callous father shunned Simon throughout his painful childhood. Yet an encounter with his best friend’s sister offers another option. If Daphne agrees to a fake courtship, Simon can deter the mamas who parade their daughters before him. Daphne, meanwhile, will see her prospects and her reputation soar.

The plan works like a charm—at first. But amid the glittering, gossipy, cut-throat world of London’s elite, there is only one certainty: love ignores every rule...

The book looks only at the relationship between Simon and Daphne, and after watching the TV series I missed the development of the other characters. The series also introduced characters who were not mentioned in the book. Whether they appear in later books I guess I will have to find out. I guess the main characters of the Bridgerton siblings and the Featheringtons will be developed as the books continue as well.

I am glad that Season 2 of Bridgerton has started and I will read the next book before it appears on our screens.

The Thursday Murder Club- Richard Osman



This was the book club choice for the month but it was on my own personal list to read.

The Blurb (Goodreads)

In a peaceful retirement village, four unlikely friends meet weekly in the Jigsaw Room to discuss unsolved crimes; together they call themselves The Thursday Murder Club. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron might be pushing eighty but they still have a few tricks up their sleeves.

When a local developer is found dead with a mysterious photograph left next to the body, the Thursday Murder Club suddenly find themselves in the middle of their first live case. As the bodies begin to pile up, can our unorthodox but brilliant gang catch the killer, before it’s too late?

I found that this was very much like an Agatha Christie novel, lots of red herrings and then the villains revealed at the end with their motives. Lots of little twists throughout to keep you guessing and then the surprise at the end.

Again, I did enjoy this story. I felt that it wasn’t written as a serious crime novel as the police officers were a little too friendly and lax in their procedures. The club members were believable, but I would have liked to have known more about Elizabeth and how she still has so much influence on things. I will read the next book when it is released.

No comments:

Post a Comment