Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Visit to Bygone Times and Heskin Hall

One of my favourite places to go shopping is Bygone Times. It is an antiques and collectables centre based in Eccleston near Chorley, Lancashire. It’s a unique shopping experience where you can find everything from vintage clothing and furniture to collectable memorabilia. Think of going to your grandparents or great grandparents houses and you will get an idea of what you can expect to find there.


Sometimes I go with a plan of what I am looking for and sometimes I like just ‘mooching’. This time I did have a few things I wanted to look for which I was successful in finding. I also found something I had been looking to find for a number of years so I was extremely happy.

I went to add some more vintage celebration cards to my collection. I think these postcard styles are beautiful and less wasteful than the cards you buy today. I would love to be able to send this style instead. I was also looking for a bone handled butter knife as when I used to use one at my grandmothers I remember it being a lot easier to spread evenly.


I also found a scrapbook kit at such a bargain price I could not leave it there.

Although Bygone Times sells mainly homewares you can find a small amount of vintage clothing and I saw this cardigan on a mannequin which I knew would go perfectly with a dress that I have.

The main thing I was overjoyed to find was this crocheted granny square blanket. I have been searching for one for about 5 years. All the ones I had seen where either too small, I didn’t like the design or I felt it was too expensive. This one is the size of a double bed and cost £20 which was an absolute bargain in my eyes.

As we did not have to rush back home to walk the dog and Craig and I were feeling hungry we called in to Heskin Hall which we had seen on the way to Bygone Times. (There is a café at Bygone Times but following the Covid rules they are only doing a takeaway menu and there is no outside space to sit). There was also a shopping village at Heskin Hall as well as a tea room.



The hall was closed so we went over to the tea room. We had to wait about 5 minutes for a table outside which was fine. The menu is a typical team room menu of sandwiches, soups, salads and cakes. The food was delicious. I had a simple afternoon tea which consisted of half a sandwich, a slice of cake and a cup of tea. Craig had soup and sandwich. The soup was cream of Cauliflower and we both decided to have ham and cheddar cheese sandwich. Both came with side salad, coleslaw and a handful of crisps. The portions were just right for me and even Craig was satisfied. It was wonderful to be able to sit in the sun and have somebody else provide food. It has been the first time we have eaten out since we went away for my birthday last September.

We had a wander around the shopping village but I would say it was more geared up for gift buying or special occasions than everyday shopping though there was a butchers and a deli on site.

All in all we had a wonderful and relaxing afternoon and I am already looking forward to going back in a few months once hopefully all the restrictions have been lifted. My mother in law has expressed an interest in going but wants to wait until everything is fully open.

No comments:

Post a Comment