Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Re-decorating Emma's bedroom

 

Emma has wanted to re-do her bedroom for a few years now but wasn’t sure how she wanted it until this year. I admit, I have tried to dissuade her from removing the fitted wardrobes as I was using the spare one to store my seasonal clothes and the dresses I wore for formal Masonic occasions. However, she decided that they were taking up too much room and she wanted them out. That was the easy part and the part we could do. I had to drag the suitcases from the loft and store my clothes in them, which Craig will hate as it means that he will have to go into the loft more often.

There was aertex on the ceiling and that needed to be smoothed out. When the plasterer came round he asked when it had been done. It was before we moved in so over 20 years ago. Then he surprised us by saying that there might be asbestos contained in the aertex and if we wanted him to sand it down then we would have to get it tested. Now, how many people know that aertex may potentially contain asbestos, I certainly didn’t and the other plasterer who did some work for us never mentioned it either. The alternative was just to board over it so it wouldn’t be disturbed and was a lot cheaper than getting the testing done. I have since found out that although aertex may contain asbestos the risk to health is minimal. By then we had already agreed to having it boarded and skimmed which was the quicker and cheaper option.



Once the plaster was dry then it was hanging wallpaper and painting. Emma wanted a feature wall with white brick effect wallpaper and then lilac painted on the rest of the walls. That took a weekend and several coats of paint to complete.

The new carpet was fitted on the day she had arranged to pick up her new wardrobe from Ikea, or should I say I had to pick it up as the boxes would not fit in her car. She had not realised initially that the wardrobe was not available from the two that were closest to where we lived and I ended up driving to Leeds to collect it. It wasn’t too long a drive there and I have to admit I did enjoy just driving and listening to my audio book. It has been a year since I last drove any distance and I surprisingly missed it.

Emma wanted to get back into her room as soon as possible and the wardrobe was built by bedtime. The next day she then spent sorting out her things that had been stored in my craft room and putting them where she now wanted them to go.

She is very pleased with how it has turned out and it looks bigger without the wardrobes. And I am pleased that I have my craft room back.


A short video of the completed room



No comments:

Post a Comment