Friday, May 14, 2021

Word of the Week -Exercise

 


Before I had kids (decades ago) I would often exercise 3 or 4 times a week. Since having kids that has become a little less regular as other things got in the way. I would have fits and spurts of exercise depending on my reasons (charity runs or hikes for example). Whilst I was exercising I did enjoy it, but a lot of the time it was finding the motivation, especially when training for the runs as I do not enjoy running on my own, but also don’t like running with any one else. I spent a few years going to the gym then my job changed and I was travelling a lot so I got out of the habit. Then we got the dog so my only exercise was walking her at lunchtimes and a few evenings a week (Hubby would do his share). Obviously last year the pandemic hit, and I changed jobs and have not exercised for a year. I am starting to feel it as like a lot of people I have gained weight (Age/perimenopause might also be a contributing factor).

I realise that especially given my stage in life that exercise is important not only for general health but also to reduce risks of osteoporosis and so I have decided that this week is the time to make a start. At the moment I don’t want to take out a gym membership, so my local council leisure centre allows you to pay as you go and book online. I took advantage of the fact that my job finishes earlier and booked a session for after work on Tuesday.

I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k programme and did Day One of week one on the treadmill. I know I could have done this outside for free but I am definitely a fair weather runner.  I started well on the treadmill but after a couple of run cycles my shins really started getting painful. I decided to stop and they quickly stopped. I think I need to get a new pair of trainers. The ones I was wearing are not running trainers and I have had them for a few years (even though they haven’t been worn for a while). They were fine for the rest of the session as I went onto the elliptical machine for 10 mins before going on to use the dumbbells to do an arm workout.

I woke up next day rather surprised that I wasn’t sore but I found that I did have to get up and move more because if I didn’t I did feel a little stiff. I decided to book another session for Thursday. This time rather than the treadmill I went onto the rowing machine. I used the Couch to 5K programme as a guide on this so taking it slower when I should be walking and then faster when I was supposed to jog. I found it a good way to pace myself and I was able to do the full 30 minutes. I like the rowing machine as it does feel more like a full body workout and it has less impact on my legs, though I could tell they had done some work.

I find that as I have to book and pay for a slot I am more likely to go rather than just thinking I will turn up at that time. I am going to investigate whether I can book multiple sessions. I will also consider taking out the membership as if I stick to going 3 times a week then it will be a lot cheaper per month but I will see how long my enthusiasm lasts. I easily get bored doing the same type of exercise all the time and classes are not on at the time I want to go.



Linking up with Anne at Raisie Bay









5 comments:

  1. Well done on your commitment to exercise. I hope your enthusiasm continues. #wotw

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a great week of exercise. I hope it continues #WotW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your exercising. It sounds like you have some great plans and are doing well. x

    ReplyDelete