Friday, May 28, 2021

Word of the Week -Routines

 


This week I have been trying to create some new routines and catch up with some ones that had dropped by the wayside. 

The first routine I have been working on is going to the gym. You have to book a place and last week I just kept forgetting to book. To overcome that I have downloaded the app and I can make multiple bookings for the week. I have booked 3 sessions for this week, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Once I have completed my session on Sunday then I will book again for the same slots.

I have also spent an evening catching up with my daily journaling prompt. I hate having gaps and as the majority of the questions were pretty general I just answered them as though I had on the day. One of the questions asked was 'How many pairs of shoes do you own?' I am the proud owner of 42 but that is ALL footwear including boots, trainers, sandals and wellies.

I have also fallen behind with some daily readings. The two books that have the daily readings are 'The Daily Stoic' by Ryan Holiday and 'Simple Abundance'by Sarah Ban Breathnach. They are very different  but they are both looking at the art of living and being true to yourself.

My final routine that needs a lot of work is self maintenance. Although I shower and moisturise my skin every day, I have not had a haircut or my eyebrows waxed and tinted since December 2019. I used to go every 3 months to get my hair trimmed and about 8 weeks for my eyebrows. I had also planned to start having facials now that I am 50 to slow down the ageing process of my looks. I feel as well that I need to do more with my nails (fingers and toes) just so that I can look more groomed. I know the pandemic has meant that salons have been closed but even when they were open last year I just never got round to going. It also hasn't helped by my old hairdresser closing as she moved out of the area during the summer last year. I intend to make appointments for skin, eyes and hair at a salon that is just up the road and offers all of these services. My nails I will do myself as I don't want acrylic or long nails. I can shape and paint them myself as I have done in the past when I have been bothered.

I love routines for a lot of things but I am not ruled by them. Craig is more spontaneous so I have learnt over the years to be a bit flexible especially with cleaning routines and menu planning, 

What routines do you have and do you stick to them faithfully?

Linking up with Anne at Raisie Bay for her word of the week

13 comments:

  1. We are all about routines, I have autistic children so things can't change too much without disruption. However, I have (Thanks to Covid) lost my grooming routines, I've not been to the hairdressers for over a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can get to the hairdressers soon. There must be times when it is difficult to stay in a routine especially with holidays and emergencies.

      Delete
  2. I like having a routine for things - it does make it a lot easier sometimes, but it is good to be flexible too. Sounds like booking multiple gym sessions via the app is the way forward. It's harder sometimes to get around to making salon appointments when somewhere you're used to closes. Hope the new salon is a good one. I used to have a similar number of pairs of shoes but most of them were too small or uncomfortable after I had my children so that reduced the number a lot! #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise that feet size changed, mind you all of my current shoes have been purchased after the kids had been born but I cannot remember having any issues with shoes being uncomfortable.

      Delete
  3. The routines sound great.
    That is great about going to the gym.
    42 pairs of shoes! Wow! I think I have about 6 at the most and that includes slippers. lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, I love shoes. I would probably have more if it hadn't been for the pandemic and not really wearing some of them as often as I wasn't going out or working.

      Delete
  4. It is so easy to get out of routine. Your idea of booking the gym sessions on a rolling basis sounds good. Frustrating that your hairdresser has moved and I hope the new one works out well. #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. I am not looking for a change in style and as my hair is straight then it shouldn't be too difficult to get the cut I want.

      Delete
  5. I like routines but I must be honest, I don't always stick to them and I don't beat myself up either if I don't get things done. Talking about nails reminds me that I've promised myself to get those done one day, hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could stick to routines more especially with cleaning which I purposely did not mention. It does get done but some weeks I will do things after work and some weeks it all gets done at a weekend. I have learnt as well not to beat myself up if things don't get done especially as nobody else in the family seems to notice.

      Delete
  6. We do adhere to routines as I have an autistic son. We also homeschool our children so we have to be organised.
    Good luck with your haircut! I can't wait for mine to be done next week. It's long overdue. :) #WotW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so admire you doing homeschool. I was lucky that Matthew was able to get on with his own work whilst the schools were closed due to Covid especially as I was still working. It is not an easy thing to do.

      Delete
  7. We have to have routines in place as our son has autism. To be honest the routines are all about the children and we don't get the chance to do anything for ourselves. I am trying to fit in playing the ring fit adventure but I'm struggling to fit that into the routine #WotW

    ReplyDelete