Friday, May 28, 2021

Planners and Planning

 I am quite an organized person by nature and I like to see everything I need easily and find things quickly. Having things written down also frees up my mind and I don’t have to worry about remembering appointments or birthdays. Having some things written down is also easy for reference in the future such as Christmas presents so I don’t duplicate or buy similar the following year. 

I have used planners for many years and keep changing my mind about how I want to use them. For most of the time I was looking for a planner that I could keep everything in and was small enough to carry around in my handbag. I tried different sizes of Filofax, bullet journals and travellers notebooks before realizing that it was going to be an impossible task. I now know that I don’t need to carry all the information I thought I needed around every day. I narrowed it down to just having appointments, to do list, menu plan/shopping list, reminders and a few blank pages in my daily planner and everything else is in planners that stay at home.

Currently I am using a Filofax A4 planner as my home management planner.




This contains all the names and addresses I need for birthdays and Christmas, information sent from school (not that there is much as it is now all emailed, I just print out important ones like School trip and new uniform details), cleaning routines, Christmas planning, information about each room in the house (size, paint colour, curtain sizes) basically information that will be easy to have to hand but doesn't need to be carried around all the time.

Having to go through everything to find information following my Brother-in-Laws death a few years ago also spurred me on to making sure I have account details for all services, banks, insurances etc. in one place so that whoever has to sort these things out when I die will be able to find the information easily

An A5 ring bound planner for more creative ideas and lists.


                                                 









An A5 customized spiral bound planner from personalplanner.com  is my everyday planner. Until recently I was using a Filofax personal size planner but decided that I wanted to see everything on one page which I could not do in the Filofax as the pages were not wide enough.



I had used these planners a few years ago and I liked decorating them but as I was still looking to have everything in one place at the time, I only used it for about a year. I found my old ones when I was clearing out the garage and realised that the style suits my needs (at the moment) so went online and ordered one.

You are able to customize everything from the cover, headers, ruler colour and layout

 In this planner I chose a horizontal layout which I divide into 3 sections. The top section is for appointments or visits which I colour code for each family member.

The middle section relates more to cleaning / to do regarding the house and the bottom section is for reminder and blog posts.

                                            

Also included on the week per page is a to do list, weather tracking, motivational quote and a menu plan. You can chose different things in each section, these were my choices.

There is also a monthly layout on which I record school holidays, birthdays and future events like theatre trips, parties etc.

                                             

At the back of the planner you have again choices to make. I went for lined pages, dot pages and a book and movie tracker.








Another good feature of this planner is you can choose when you want it to start so you are not tied to January or July. I ordered mine to start in April and it will last for 12 months. I will order a new one to start in January if I continue to use it just because I prefer to see a whole year in one place.

I know a lot of people use their phones as planners and calendars and that there are various apps that allow you to do this but for me personally paper is more convenient and easier to use. I have attempted them in the past but did not like them. I much prefer being able to just open up my planner at the right page and see the information right away without having to open an app and going through the menu choices to get to what I want to see and maybe having to open up another app to see related information.

Do you use planners and if so what and how do you use them?


No comments:

Post a Comment