Tuesday, February 9, 2021

What I have been watching

 

We recently cancelled our TV package as we found that we weren’t really watching anything that we couldn’t watch on Youview. Craig had taken out the Netflix subscription last November and Emma took out the Disney+ subscription when it came out last year. I don’t really watch much TV normally but there is certainly some interesting programmes on these two services.

Designated Survivor (Netflix)

A devastating attack on the night of the State of the Union kills the President and most of the Cabinet. Tom Kirkman (played by Kiefer Sutherland) was named Designated Survivor (in case of such an event) so is immediately sworn in as President. He has to keep the country from dissolving into chaos and faces many challenges and struggles to balance his own beliefs and values with decisions that need to be made as President.


(image courtesy of imdb)

I started watching this one evening when we were looking for something that both Craig and I would watch (we have vey different tastes generally) and I remembered a work colleague had recommended this. We ended up watching about 3 episodes back-to-back as we were quickly drawn into the whole drama and the ‘what is he going to do’. The poor guy never seemed to get a break for the majority of the first season and it makes you wonder why anyone would want that position. Tom Kirkman comes across as being a decent man who genuinely wants to do what is best for everyone and quickly adapts to his new role. If he were a real person then he would be a man I would vote for if I were an American.

This is a series I am going to have to finish watching on my own as Craig has lost interest now the initial crisis is over.

Bridgerton  (Netflix)

Like the rest of the world, I have watched Bridgerton. I enjoy period dramas anyway so this was obviously something I would watch. I loved the costumes, the sets, the story and the characters. It is pure escapism from what is currently going on in the world.

(image courtesy of Google)

The series concentrates on Daphne Bridgerton, the oldest girl of the Bridgerton family, and her quest to marry. She strikes up a friendship with Simon, The Duke of Hastings, who is looking to never marry. The pair decide to fool the world with their ‘relationship’ but the obvious happens and they fall in love with each other.

A second series has now been commissioned and will focus on Anthony Bridgerton.

The series is based on books by Julia Quinn, each one following a member of the Bridgerton family. I have now bought the books and hope to read them all by then end of the year.

The Imagineering Story  (Disney+)

This is a miniseries that looks at the development and history of the Disney Parks throughout the world. It is a behind the scenes story and looks at the people involved in bringing the parks and rides to life. If you are a fan of the Disney Parks and want to know more than this will give you the detail you need.


(image courtesy of Wikipedia)

We watched this when we first got Disney+ last year as a family on a Friday evening to spend time together as during the day everyone was working in their own spaces for school or work. It was a way of signifying the end of the working week. I initially only agreed to watch it for that reason but ended up thoroughly enjoying the series.

 

Wandavision (Disney+)

This lockdown we are now all watching this series as we all enjoy the Marvel Comic Universe (MCU).

This series shows Marvel heroes Wanda Maximoff and Vision living suburban lives in a TV show format. Each episode is set in a different decade but not all is at it seems.

(image courtesy of Disney+)


I enjoy the format of the show as I do like shows that feature so called normal family life in America. There are also small things that make you realise all is not as it appears, and you think what is going on and who is behind it. There are 3 episodes left of this series so hopefully we might find out more. Last week’s episode gave a different view of what is happening, and every episode ends on enough of a cliff hanger to make you want to watch more.

I have started to watch ‘Queen’s Gambit’ and think that is something I could get into. I tried to watch ‘Umbrella Academy’ but didn’t really enjoy it and I don’t know why as I have watched similar programmes in the past and enjoyed them.

As you can see I have an eclectic taste in TV programmes but I do not like programmes or films that are overly violent or crude. That is why there is not a lot that Craig and I will watch together.

What TV programmes are you currently enjoying and what would you recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment