Wednesday, February 3, 2021

My First Finished Craft Project of 2021

 

As well as the long-term projects I have already mentioned I also like to do some quick projects that I can achieve in a weekend. This helps to keep my crafting motivation going whilst tackling the bigger ones.

I have had this Cath Kidston book for a few years and it came with the items needed to make a pocket sewing kit. I am on a decluttering mission this year and this book was one of the ones I had targeted to donate. I decided that I wanted to make the kit before I made the final decision and looking at the other projects included.



I have never done anything that needed bias binding so thought it would be good practice for when I have the quilt binding to do. I found it okay to do though it is not even all the way round and the instructions as a complete beginner for going around the curved edges needed further investigation with regards to easing and stretching (thank goodness for Youtube).



The finished object isn’t perfect. I was distracted when I was making the pockets and just used the same colour thread as the binding rather than white so it does stand out. The binding isn’t even and I did have issues going around the bends.

One thing that is not my fault is the pattern on the fabric. When folded the pattern is upside down, unlike the photos in the book. The bottom pocket even when opened is still upside down. The illustrations in the book do reflect this but it looks like the fabric in the photos have been cut differently. If it was a plain fabric or did not have a directional pattern then it would be fine.





I also decided to use press stud fastening rather than the loop and button purely because for something like this item I prefer this.

It is made as a pocket sewing kit but I won’t be using it for that purpose. I think initially I will be putting a face mask and hand sanitiser in the pockets and keeping it in my handbag so that the masks can be kept tidy and ‘clean’.

I don’t think I will keep the book as there are only a couple of projects that I would want to make so I will photocopy the ones I would make and then donate the book to charity.







No comments:

Post a Comment