Friday, September 10, 2021

Word of the Week- Learning

 

The first week back in school is almost complete and I am sure Matthew has done lots of learning. Judging from the amount of homework he has been given, lost time is being made up for. 

I have also had lots of learning this week as I did the exam and practical assessment for the course I have been studying. There were lots of new things for me to learn as it is a completely new field for me work wise. I was worried that nothing was sinking in and I would completely freeze and go blank during the exam. Luckily, I had managed to obtain some past papers and examiners report and worked out some model answers using the materials I had been given. To my great surprise and relief have the questions on the exam paper had appeared on the previous papers and the others were on topics that I had felt more confident in.  As soon as I read the questions and saw familiar questions I relaxed and although I know I probably still won’t get full marks on the questions I should have done enough to at least pass.

The practical assessment although not easy involved using your common sense. I had to identify hazards in the workplace and write a report. Some were obvious just be looking around but some I would not have identified if I had not undertaken the learning first as I was not familiar with the type of hazards that could be involved in the work the company undertakes. 

I now have to wait until the 17th November to get my results and see if I learnt enough on the course.

I also have some fun learning coming up over the next month as I have signed up for two dressmaking workshops, one to make a dress and the other is to make a pair of trousers. Although I can follow a pattern and make my own clothes I have had trouble with facings and zips so I am looking forward to learning how to do those properly and improving my finishes.

One thing I have realised is that my learning style has changed. Whereas once I could just read something now I find that being shown how or having a go at doing something works better for me. This is probably why I felt I like struggled with the course for work as it was just reading.

I enjoy learning new things especially if it is something I am really interested in. Learning something doesn’t have to be a big thing. It could mean you learn the meaning of a word or you learn something about somebody or how to do a small DIY job. I hope by keeping my brain active it will slow down any future age related decline of my mind which is my biggest fear of getting old.

What have you learnt recently and how did you learn?



5 comments:

  1. I'm a big believer of lifetime learning. I'm currently doing a course in Crystal Reiki which is interesting. I hope you get good results in November, but I think your sewing courses sound more interesting. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you that the learning has made you confident that you will be successful in your exams. I like the idea of the courses you have coming up too. I have been looking at online courses that are fun and engaging. I am even contemplating a free trial month of Skillshare. Have you ever checked it out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a great return to school. My youngest hasn't had any homework yet. I am sure they are just easing the kids in gently.
    Well done with your exam and assessment. It sounds like you did great.
    What a great week of learning x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so glad that you had some familiar questions on your exam – what a relief that must have been and hope that you have done well on it. Good luck with your practical assessment results too. The dressmaking workshops sound interesting. Hope you enjoy them. #WotW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always good when a familiar question comes up. I hope you get the results you are after. Enjoy your dressmaking classes. Such a good way to learn. #wotw

    ReplyDelete