Sunday, January 24, 2021

My Knitting and Sewing WIP's

 Last year whilst I was furloughed I taught myself how to knit as I read and watch a lot of people who seem to like to knit and sew. My sewing skills are pretty basic but I did manage to make 3 dresses that were by no means perfect but I could wear them. I had attended a beginners dressmaking course several years ago but never really made the time to do any dressmaking after that until last year. I will go more into that in another post. I have never knitted but one of the WI's a attend has a regular knit and Natter group which I decided to attend just before we went into lockdown last year and all sessions were cancelled. Thank goodness for Youtube is all I can say when I needed help.

I don't like to have lots of projects that I am working on at the same time as generally I prefer to focus on one project at a time. However, as I am such a slow knitter I have two on the go to prevent me from getting bored. 

I am currently working on a baby cardigan for my niece whi is expecting a baby girl in June. It is the second time I have knitted this pattern and it is pretty basic and perfect for a beginner like me.

The pattern is from Sirdar and I found it free on Hobbycraft's website. It should be knitted in Baby Cashmere Merino Silk DK but following advice from my Mum I am just using Baby 100% acrylic as it is much more practical especially knowing my niece. 




My second knitting project I saw on Create and Craft. It is the Courthouse Steps blanket by Deramores. You buy the whole kit so all you have to provide is the knitting and yarn needles. I chose this project as I have never changed colour or picked up stitches and again it is perfect for a beginner. The colours aren't necessarily all ones I would chose myself but I am looking forward to being able to snuggle down  whilst watching TV at night.





I will need to block all the separate pieces to ensure they are all the same size before sewing together, again something I have never really done.

For several years at the WI quilting club I have been working on a hand stitched English Paper Piecing quilt and I had reached the stage where I was putting all the hexagon flowers I had made together separated by white hexagons. Lockdown then happened and it was the one project I could not be bothered to work on. However this year is a different matter, I am determined to get the whole quilt finished by the end of the year. My aim is to have all the heaxagons sewn together before the WI are hopefully allowed to re-open in the summer so that I can get the help I need to even the sides up and with the binding. This will then go on my bed for evenings when it is too warm to have a duvet on but I would need more than a sheet.


( I must apologise for the way it looks as it has been folded up in a small bag for nearly a year)

I am hoping to get both my knitting projects completed by Easter as I do have other things I wish to work on and by the end of the year I want to learn how to knit socks.

How many WIP's do people generally have and if you have a large amount what are your reasons? I would love to know.











2 comments:

  1. Have you looked at the Denman at home courses run by the WI? I've been doing some of the crafty ones and have really enjoyed them. I've been sewing for years but there's still a lot to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't. I have attended a photography one at Lancashire Federation. I normally just get the ladies who attend the knit & natter to help me when I get stuck. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do that for a while.

      Delete